Saturday, August 23, 2014
Presidents of the Oneida Stake Academy
ONEIDA STAKE ACADEMY, Preston, Idaho, was commenced under the jurisdiction of the presidency of the Oneida Stake at Franklin, Idaho, Oct. 1, 1888, with 75 students and two teachers. In 1898, a fine cut stone building having been erected for the school at Preston, the equipment was moved to that city. As the scope of the work increased, another fine school building was added in 1907 and a well-equipped gymnasium was built in 1915. Preparatory, normal, high school, commercial, domestic science, carpentry, missionary and music courses were offered and the school served a noble purpose until, on account of the splendid facilities offered by the state schools, duplication of scholastic courses was avoided and the Academy closed in 1922.
Following are the names of the presidents of the Oneida Stake Academy:
Samuel Cornwall, 1888-1889;
James S. Rawlins, 1889-1890;
Jos. G. Nelson, 1890-1893;
John E. Dalley, 1893-1896;
Josiah E. Hickman, 1896-1899;
Dr. Allen R. Cutler, 1899-1900;
Edwin Cutler, 1900-1906;
Dr. John Johnson, 1906-1912;
J. Robert Robinson, 1912-1914;
Joseph A. Geddes, 1914-1920, and
Thomas C. Romney, 1920-1922.
Encyclopedic History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Andrew Jenson